Distance Education

Student Complaints & Grievances

In compliance with Federal and State regulations, an institution offering distance education must provide enrolled and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accrediting agency and with the appropriate state agency for handling complaints in the student’s state. If an issue cannot be resolved through the grievance procedures, a student who resides outside of the State of North Carolina may file a complaint with their state of residence. Access the Out-of-State Agency Directory and the State Portal Entity Liaisons.

Rowan-Cabarrus Complaint & Grievances Resolution Process

While Rowan-Cabarrus strives to provide high quality education and interactions, on occasion conflicts may arise. The college expects that most issues (such as those related service, classroom, technology or facilities) will be resolved informally through a discussion between the student and the appropriate faculty or staff member. Rowan-Cabarrus has established specific procedures for certain specific complaints. For example, formal complaints regarding grades are subject to the Grade Appeal Procedure; complaints regarding discrimination are subject to the Student Grievance policy. Students will be expected to initiate their concerns or express their concern in accordance with those specific policies. Formal complaint procedures and forms are listed by the Office of Civility.

For further information, please contact:

Jonathan Rowe, Executive Director, Student Success South Campus and College Civility
Rowan-Cabarrus Community College
South Campus
1531 Trinity Church Rd.
Concord, N.C. 28027

Email: jonathan.rowe@chihua-remo.com
Phone: 704-216-3723

State Post-Secondary Education Complaints

The Licensure Division of the University of North Carolina System Office serves as the official state entity to receive complaints concerning post-secondary institutions that are authorized to operate in North Carolina. If students are unable to resolve a complaint through the institution’s grievance procedures, they can review the North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints website to review the Student Complaint Policy and submit their complaint using the online complaint form.

For more information, call 919-962-4550 or studentcomplaint@northcarolina.edu.

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina System Office
223 S. West Street Suite 1800, Raleigh, NC 27603

To file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice, please visit the State Attorney General’s website.
North Carolina residents may call 877-566-7226. Outside of North Carolina, please call 919-716-6000. En Espanol 919-716-0058.

If you choose to mail a complaint, please use the following address:

Consumer Protection Division
Attorney General’s Office
Mail Service Center 9001
Raleigh, NC 27699-9001

SACSCOC Student Complaint Process

If the complaint is not satisfactorily resolved, the next step would be to file a complaint with Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), the regional accrediting agency for Rowan-Cabarrus Community College. SACSCOC has authorized Rowan-Cabarrus to offer certificates, diplomas, and associate’s degrees. Students who file a complaint with the accrediting agency should follow the SACSCOC Complaint Procedure.

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097

Telephone: 404.679.4500
Website: www.sacscoc.org

SARA-NC Complaint Process

Students not residing in California may also file a complaint through SARA-NC (the SARA portal for North Carolina) by following the SARA-NC Complaint Process and using the SARA-NC Complaint Form (PDF). Students residing in California should follow the complaint process listed below.

SARA-NC Contact Information:

SARA North Carolina
North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority
P.O. Box 41349
Raleigh, NC 27629

T: (855) SARA-1-NC (855.727.2162)
T: 919.549.8614, ext. 4667

Website: SARANC
Email Address: information@saranc.org

California Resident Complaint Process

Because California does not participate in SARA, students must submit complaints through the California Department of Consumer Affairs.

California Department of Consumer Affairs
Consumer Information Center

1625 North Market Blvd., Suite N-112
Sacramento, California 95834
Telephone: (833) 942-1120
Email: dca@dca.ca.gov

Students residing in California may also: